Monday, August 22, 2016

New Life

got a hanging plant for Mother's Day from my step kids and their bio mom. It was so sweet of her to think of me. But then I neglected the plant. I've always had a black thumb but when you forget you own a plant and thus, never water it, of course it will die. A couple months ago, I remember looking at the plant and see all the dead stems and no green left and I knew I'd killed it. As much as I wanted to keep it alive and flourishing because it was such a sweet gift, I killed the plant. But I left it sitting there because I didn't feel like getting rid of it just yet. Maybe it was laziness. Maybe I just didn't want to throw it away quite yet. 

And then today, I glanced down at the plant on my way outside, expecting to see the pathetic dead mess. But wait! There are flowers! There are green stems growing!! From the dead plant, new life has come. From the dried up, withered stems, new flowers have grown! 

So too in our lives. There are times when we neglect our walk with God and we begin to dry up. We look withered and dead and worthy only for the burn pile. But God steps in. He waters us with His grace and love. He gently prunes away the deadness and brings new life to our souls. 

I've been through a season of dryness. Of feeling withered, broken and dying. But God is not done with me. He is pruning away the rubbish. He is getting rid of what is dead so that He can breathe new life into me. He is turning my heart of stone into a heart of flesh. I am withered but He is my Strength. I am broken but He is my Healer. There is hope. He is not done with me. 

“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.” Psalm 27:13

“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6

No comments: