Thursday, January 24, 2013

Willing to make the wrong decision

Excerpted from Marko's blog (http://whyismarko.com)
You don't lack the ability to make the decision; what you lack is the willingness to make the wrong decision. man, that’s it. that’s what, so often, keeps me frozen in the process of decision making. my fear over loss or scrutiny or embarrassment or the potential of spilled milk. and i see this over and over again with leaders of all sorts, including youth workers. great leaders are willing to make the wrong decision (and, of course, to own it when wrong decisions are made, rather than pointing at others or external factors). this isn’t a cry for impulsivity or a cavalier approach to decision making that ignores potential hurt or mess. instead, it’s an invitation to move out of that frozen space of indecision, with a willingness to risk. are you willing to make the wrong decision?
I really could not have said it any better. Time and time again, I've been in that place of frozen indecision...fearful of making the wrong decision. Fearful of messing up. Fearful of "ruining my life." Oh wait, that's right, God's in control of my life. And any "wrong decisions" that I make can be redeemed by Him. So I seek God in my decisions and I do the best I can to make the right decisions, trusting Him to work in me even in the midst of wrong decisions that I might make.

No comments: