Sunday, October 05, 2008

My baptism

Today I was baptized at Riverside Community Church. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but now seemed the appropriate time. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I'd seen baptisms done at other churches but never at this one. The worship team was playing as I climbed into the tank. They continued to play as Pastor John spoke to me. As I walked up he received "word from the Lord" about me which he shared. I was taken aback because I've never had anyone say that to me before. I respect this man and believe that he is earnestly seeking Christ and is a very discerning man of God. I'm still processing that. He baptized me in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and then I was dunked. It was beautiful! I couldn't stop grinning because I was so excited about that moment.

About 10 days ago we had met about this event and talked about what it means to be baptized. We also had to video our testimony in a two minute segment. Here's what I said (more or less):

I've been a Christian most of my life but I haven't always made wise choices. God has allowed me to experience deep hurts, loneliness, depression, fear, violence and even the deaths of people I love. At times, I chose to be angry at God and blamed Him for those trials. But it was through those difficulties that I came to a deep realization of His love and the grace He poured out on us through His sacrifice on the cross. I want to be baptized today because I want the world to know that I'm a child of God. And I want everyone to know that love. He has claimed me as His own. I am amazed by His love and humbled to be called a daughter of the King.

I got baptized today!

No comments: