Sunday, September 14, 2008

What is that big black thing?

So I'm driving home from church just a little while ago and I come up and over the last hill that leads to the entrance of camp. I start to pull over so I can check the mail when I catch a glimpse of a large black shape on the side of the road. My first thought was that it was a bag of garbage and I should pick it up. But when I turned the car so the headlights hit the shape, it moved! It was a cow! Just sitting on the side of the road. Not too big and totally black. If a cow can be called cute, then this one was cute. After my slight bit of shock, I started laughing and wondering what I should do. I have no idea who owns the field that lay just to my right. Everyone at camp would already be in bed. Do I call the police? Fire department? Animal control? Instead I called a friend who grew up in the country and asked him. After laughing at my predicament, he told me I should try herding it back into the field. Yeah right. Not happening. It might be a cute cow but only from a distance. Thankfully he had another suggestion and that was to call the non-emergency police number and tell them. I told him I felt like I should name it since it's cute and I was spending time just watching it. But what do you name a cow - other than hamburger? So I called the police and laughingly told them what I had seen. They said they'd send someone to check it out.

A cow. Just about the last thing I thought I'd deal with on my way home from church.

No comments: