Friday, November 09, 2007

I wonder...

These days, I struggle to know what to write about. I haven't really done much serious thinking and my life is rather dull right now. But two questions have popped into my head recently and while I haven't fully thought them through, I offer here a few preliminary thoughts:

1. Does our society perpetuate a culture of fear?
2. Are we becoming desensitized to violence?

These two may or may not seem related. Depends on your perspective, I suppose. On the one hand, I've been watching the news more often since my grandma watches it. I can't help but notice that nearly every day there is something profiled that we should be alarmed about. It might be the lady who runs a daycare in her home and her husband is a sex offender or food that causes cancer or whatever. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about it. If not, turn on your evening news.

On the other hand, I've watched a few episodes of CSI since coming to AL and it got me to thinking about all the crime shows on TV right now. CSI, Numbers, Law & Order, Cold Case, Without a Trace, etc. And they are so popular. By consistenly watching these shows that are filled with violence, are we being desensitized to real violence? Will we look at real life violence with the same apathy that we watch these shows?

I wonder...

No comments: