Monday, December 30, 2013

Train adventures, part 1

Bo is the man who comes through our train car and gives us status updates. He's been nothing but kind the entire trip. When we got stuck for 2.5 hours (we just started moving) he passed out water and snack packs as people shoved by him and tried to grab their own. As I stood by him, he spoke of being on this train since Christmas day when it left the West Coast, his weariness was so evident. He wants to get home just as much as the rest of us. My eyes welled with tears as I listened to people speak rudely to him as though he purposely went out and broke the track. I want to thank him for what he's doing to keep people calm and happy. Thank him for being away from his family on a holiday like Christmas to help the rest of us get to and from our family gatherings. And it's a reminder for all of us that when we get in difficult situations, take care how you treat people. Everyone is on a journey and they probably face struggles you can't fathom. We are called to love people even when we're tired or stressed or cranky. My heart is heavy for Bo and the other Amtrak employees on this train who are taking a verbal bruising from too many. And I'm praying for more love to fill my heart, not only for them but also for all the irritated people sitting around me. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7; 14:1a

No comments: