Thursday, January 10, 2013

Confess. Repent. Move on.

Jesus replied, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” ~Luke 9:62
Confess. Repent. Move on.
The first two aren't usually that challenging.
I am convicted of my sin.
I confess it to God.
I ask for His forgiveness.
I am forgiven.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. ~1 John 1:9
Move on.
That can be so hard.
It doesn't have to be
but I often make it hard.
Maybe I don't "feel" forgiven
Maybe I still beat myself up
Maybe I'm still sitting in a prison
that God has freed me from.
A prison whose door is open
but I have to choose to walk out.
Jesus died for me
I am free.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. ~Psalm 103:11-12
I heard an illustration about this concept that sticks with me - there was a little boy who killed his puppy while playing. He felt terrible about it so he took the puppy to his parents and said, "I'm so sorry, please forgive me." Of course his parents forgave him and they buried the puppy. The next day, the little boy digs up the puppy, brings it to his parents and says, "I'm so sorry, please forgive me." His parents remind him that he's forgiven and they again bury the puppy. Again and again the cycle repeats itself.

Isn't that just like me??
I sin. I confess. I repent.
And then I beat myself up.
I wallow in shame.
I swim in guilt.
And so I confess it again.
And again.
And again.
It doesn't take long before I start hearing the lies
- you'll never be good enough -
- you can't do any better -
- you've tapped out His forgiveness -
WHAT?!?! NO!

I am a child of the King
I am redeemed
I am His beloved
I am forgiven
I am at peace in Him
I am loved

MOVE ON.
It's a daily choice
Sometimes uphill
and against the current
But I can move on.
I can let go of the past
Stop looking back
and accept His forgiveness.

Today I'm making the choice to MOVE ON.
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. ~James 4:7-8a

No comments: