Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thunder, Fear, and God's Voice

I love storms - mighty, fierce, and slightly terrifying. I love to watch the power of the wind as it bends mighty oak trees and ripples over the waters.  Or to see lightning pierce the sky and illuminate a darkened sky.  And thunder. Oh, how I love thunder. Oh to hear a mighty crash of thunder that causes me to tremble! There is a thunder that resounds so mightily that I shake with a little fear and yet I also want to jump and dance like a giddy child. There is power in storms, a power so strong that it should be respected and perhaps even feared. 

There are some parallels between the force of a storm and the Source of a storm.  I see the destruction caused by wind and I think of the destruction that happens when a life is invaded by the Holy Spirit. The latter type should be welcomed, even though it can be painful. The Holy Spirit penetrates to the depths of our soul, uprooting sin, destroying strongholds, and decimating the powers of satan in our lives.

I see the wind bend a 100 year old tree and I am reminded of the strength it helps build in the tree. The wind of the Holy Spirit also bends me to His will as my roots are plunged deep into Him.  

And then there's thunder. It makes me think of when Moses went up on the mountain and heard God speak. The people heard thunder. When I hear thunder, I think of God's voice. Sometimes the thunder is so loud, so deep that it makes me tremble inside and I feel some fear. And yet, I get so excited by it as well. You know, the kind of thunder that makes you want to run and hide but then again, you want to stand outside and watch the magnificence of the storm. How much more true that must be of God's voice. To be in His presence and to hear His voice will cause me tremble with fear, awe and reverence. And yet, I will also be excited and joyful to be in the presence of my Creator.

Some verses that relate:
Job 37:3-5 - He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth. After that comes the sound of his roar; he thunders with his majestic voice. When his voice resounds, he holds nothing back. God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding. He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth,’ and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour.’

Psalm 29:2-4 - Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness. The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is majestic.

Psalm 68:32-34 - Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth, sing praise to the Lord, to him who rides the ancient skies above, who thunders with mighty voice. Proclaim the power of God, whose majesty is over Israel, whose power is in the skies.

Jeremiah 10:12-14 - But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding. When he thunders, the waters in the heavens roar; he makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth. He sends lightning with the rain
and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

John 12:28-30 – “Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine.  

No comments: