Monday, June 22, 2009

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

Proverbs 3:5-6 have been continually running through my brain for the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to understand what it means and how to live by it. Day by day, I get tiny glimpses of what it means but am still far from fully grasping it.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
What does this look like? How do you do it? I'll come back to this phrase.

and lean not on your own understanding;
This phrase has really stuck out to me these past couple weeks. There is so much happening in my life that I don't understand. I want to understand, I have even sought answers, but I'm coming to realize that there will always be much that I don't understand and that's okay. What really matters is that I trust in the Lord.

in all your ways acknowledge him,
Here is where I begin to sense conviction. In what areas of my life am I not acknowledging Him? How often have I sought to live apart from the Lord, trying (without success) to figure things out and to make life work? I have been praying that the Lord will open my eyes to any part of my life that is not fully submitted to Him. And to reveal to me any unconfessed sin in my life.

and he will direct your paths.
I am seeking direction in multiple areas of my life. The key here is that the Lord will direct my paths, not me, not anyone else in my life, but only the Lord. When I trust in Him and fully submit to Him, He will show me way so that I can walk in it. I need to trust.

So that's brings us back to that first phrase: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart". This is by far the phrase I struggle with the most. I want to trust the Lord with all my heart...but how? I think it's a day by by, moment by moment decision. I am faced with the choice...will I stress, worry, try to do things my way, labor in vain...or will I trust the Lord? I choose to trust. I choose to believe that the Lord is Sovereign. He is in control of all things. He is my Rock and my Refuge.

Psalm 73:24-28
You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish;
You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.
But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
That I may declare all Your works.

No comments: