Monday, May 04, 2009

Beauty

I've been reflecting a bit about beauty. In the past couple weeks, I've been asked multiple times why I don't wear makeup. Interesting question. I tried to wear makeup - I bought all the right stuff, asked people how to appropriately apply it, etc. But in the end I just couldn't bring myself to make it a daily habit. I felt like a fraud when I put it on - as though somehow I was ashamed of what I look like. Please hear me say that just because you wear makeup does not make you a fraud. I'm simply recording my personal journey. I had struggled so much with self-image - especially wishing I didn't have the scars from acne on my face. But in trying to cover that up with makeup, I felt like I was putting on a mask because I was afraid to show the real me. Sure, people told me I looked beautiful with makeup on and of course that makes a girl feel good. But I wanted to feel good in my own skin, without makeup. It's been a long journey but these days, I'm comfortable in my own skin. I'm okay with how I look without makeup. I believe I can be beautiful just as I am. This is simply who I am, that is, who God created me to be.

More importantly, I am becoming beautiful in Christ as day by day, the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control) become more and more evident in my life.

Just thinking and still processing...

No comments: