Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another transition is coming...

Well my support letter went out in the mail today so I thought I'd post a little piece of it here...

On January 9th, I found out that my position is being reduced to part time. Our organization has lost some big group contracts and we need to reduce staff costs. As of March 1st, I will no longer be the program director at Great Oaks Camp. I have decided to leave my position in search of a full time role. As of right now, I don’t know what that looks like. My goal is to stay in this area so I can stay involved in my church and maintain the friendships that I have made here. I’m looking into various ministries, non-profits and other organizations and the options that exist out there. My housing is provided by the camp so I will also be looking for a new place to live. I’ll keep you posted on what transpires.

Psalm 73:23-28 – Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

These verses have been a comfort and encouragement to me over the past days as I’ve thought about my situation. Reflecting on the past 11 months, I’ve found myself filled with good memories of my time here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Great Oaks. Over the past 11 months, I’ve written some about the many changes that have take place at this camp. A lot of staff have come and gone. I heard a few months ago that “no employee has ever left Great Oaks happy.” Sad, don’t you think? Well I’m pleased to say that I will be the first. I harbor no hard feelings against our director. He’s had to make some tough choices in his short time as the director and I don’t envy him at all. While this situation stinks and I’m not thrilled about it, God has granted me a peace about it that could only come from Him. I’m sad to be leaving behind a fabulous ministry but so excited about what lays ahead. I’m confident that the Lord is already at work, preparing me for what is next. I don’t know what it is, but I’m trusting in Him. I’ve learned a ton these past 11 months about trusting God. And now I have yet one more opportunity to exercise that trust.

Some of you may be wondering, “what about your support? Can I still help you?” Great questions, I’m glad you asked! I can’t even begin to express how grateful I am for your partnership in this ministry. It’s been an absolute joy to watch God bring in the gifts that I needed at just the right time. If you are currently supporting me monthly, I’d like to ask that you continue to do so through February. I will send one more letter in February which will also provide you with a response slip. For others, would you consider a one time gift? In order to get an apartment in the area, I’m going to need to provide a security deposit as well as the first month’s rent. Perhaps you could help me with a gift toward my moving costs? Contributions can be sent to Great Oaks until the end of February. Thank you so much for your generosity. I’ve been so blessed by your gifts, prayers and support. And now we can look forward to what God has next for me.

No comments: