Monday, September 29, 2008

Tractors, semis & soybeans

I had a blast on Saturday. I had the opportunity to hang out with some friends at a farm. Tis the season for harvesting soybeans and corn. This was a soybean day. But before we went out to the fields, I got a lesson in driving a tractor. Well first, I drove a John Deere riding mower. Then they graduated me to a John Deere 4020 - at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was called. Until I get the actual pictures of me on the tractor, this one will have to do:

Wow. I had no idea that driving a tractor could be so much fun! Next we headed out to the soybean fields and I watched the combine do its thing. There were some beans left on the edge of the field so I tried them. Not bad. I used a friend's camera and snapped some beautiful pictures of the sunset. Well the sunset was beautiful. Not sure how well the pictures turned out. Then I got into the tractor-trailer that was full of soybeans and got to ride along to the elevator where we unloaded them. Along the way, I got a lesson in how a semi works. We ended our time at the farm sitting in the bed of a pickup eating pizza.

It was a long day. Full of laughter and good times but I was exhausted. I stopped halfway home and walked around a grocery store with a friend to wake myself up. He helped me find some eye drops because my contacts were so dry that it was hard to keep my eyes open. I dropped into bed happy after an unexpectedly good day.

No comments: