Saturday, July 12, 2008

Worst night of sleep in months

So last night was terrible. I thought I was doing well when I went to bed at 11pm, knowing that I had to be up at 6:30am. This morning was part two of the membership class at Riverside. At 2am, I was woken up by knocking on my door. At first I ignored it, thinking it was part of a dream. But the insistent knocking continued. I got up, slipped on my glasses and a sweater and answered the door. It was the mom of a summer staffer letting me know that she was taking her son to the ER. I had a difficult time comprehending all she told me but I gave her my phone number and asked her to call me when she knew anything. I crawled back into bed and lay there...wide awake...for two hours. About 4am, I started to doze off when my phone rang...once. Of course I didn't get to it but now I was awake again. This time, I lay there listening to a storm outside that sounded terrific and I might have enjoyed it if it wasn't the middle of the night! I'm not sure when I dozed off again but all to soon it was 6:17am and my alarm clock was going off. Oy, what a night! I don't feel rested at all.

I need to start processing the summer and figuring out what's next. This week I'll be debriefing the summer staff, collecting God-stories, reading evaluations and participating in a week of urban outreach. It'll be an interesting week. At the end of the week, about half of the staff will head out. The other half will remain with me to do various work projects around camp. We'll also help some local ministries. It'll be a fun three weeks, just sad that there will only be half of the summer staff around to enjoy it. As I process the summer, I'll post my thoughts and feelings here.

No comments: