Thursday, September 06, 2007

Compassion International

This morning I spoke at a church in West Virginia. I've been an advocate with Compassion International for just over 2 years. Ever since I went to Honduras to visit Deysey, my sponsor child, I've wanted to have a great involvement with this organization. A few weeks ago I was contacted by Compassion and asked if I would speak to a MOPS groups. There were twelve ladies there this morning and I shared about my journey to becoming a sponsor as well as what it's like to be a sponsor. I was able to share some snippets from letters I've received from Deysey and show a video that is geared toward moms. A couple of the women are already sponsors and the group decided to sponsor a child as a group. They picked a young boy from India. It was neat to see their excitement as they began talking about the letters they could write and stickers, coloring sheets and other things they could send. I had a really nice time with the ladies, it was a joy to be there.

I have to mention that it amazes me that I was in West Virginia this morning. It seems like it should be so far away but it only took me 40 minutes to get to the church. Now I'm sitting in a Panera in Maryland writing this post. Crazy how easy it is to be in three states in just one morning.

No comments: