Saturday, June 02, 2007

What is ministry?

Is ministry something we do 40 hours a week as our job? Or maybe one hour a week when teaching a Sunday school class? If someone works at a bank, are they in ministry? What about a mom who stays at home with her kids?

I think ministry is what our lives as Christians ought to be, no matter what our daily jobs may look like. Ministry is not something you enter in and out of. It is your life. Isn't it? Sometimes I feel like ministry is seen as my job, the 40-45 hours I put in and then I should leave that ministry and go have a personal life. That just doesn't sit well with me. I look at Jesus' example and I see him constantly with his disciples. Sure he took time away to be with His Father and pray, but he didn't take the weekends off. He didn't say, "sorry guys, I've put in my 40 hours this week. You'll have to wait to be healed or taught until next week." No! He poured His whole life into His disciples as well as others. Should I be any different? I do believe I need to guard my quiet times and make sure that they are a high priority. It's during those times that I will be refreshed so that I can spend the rest of my time pouring into others.

Ministry is not a 40 hour workweek. It's what I want my life to be about.

No comments: