Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Immersion in the Word

When I am busy (which is pretty often), reading/studying/meditating on Scripture is always first to go. It's a bad habit I've gotten into. I want to be immersed in the Word, I want to have the desire to study it, but I often don't. Today I decided to start a reading plan through the Scriptures. I'm hoping it will help me to get into the habit of reading every day. Plus I think it would be really cool to read through the Bible cover to cover which is what this reading plan allows me to do. I found it on Bible Gateway which had a few different reading plans to choose from.

Once I found a plan, I needed to tackle the time issue. Along with Scripture, another thing that gets pushed aside during busy times is lunch. I frequently work straight through lunch either because I'm so busy at work that I simply didn't notice the time or I grab my lunch but continue working right through it. Obviously neither of these are great habits to get into. So I'm going to work on taking lunch breaks and reading my Bible during them. If I take a later lunch, the lunchroom is empty and thus, I could read without disruption. This worked pretty well today.

If my goal truely is to be in dangerous proximity to Jesus, I need to be immersed in His Word, soaking up the beautiful treasure we have there. And I need to do more than just read it, I need to meditate on it and soak it up in my heart.

No comments: