Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Trust in the midst of the unknown

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6
"Why?" is a question I often find myself asking and it often goes unanswered. Some of the "Why" questions I'm thinking about now:

* Why is self-discipline so difficult?

* Why do we say things to hurt other people, especially those we love?

* Why do we let our emotions cloud our judgment?

* Why is trusting God such a tough thing to do?

* Why is it so easy to waste time when there are so many good things I should be doing?

* Why is it difficult to find a kind word to say in response to the harsh words spoken to you?

* Why so many sleepless nights?

* Why am I so restless?

Sometimes I think it's better not to dwell on the "why" which can be a fruitless pursuit of explanations I may never get. Instead, asking myself, "what am I going to do about...?" is a better focus to have. This latter question forces me to think about my area of influence. What can I change? What can I do differently? I have no ability to control other's actions or words but I can choose how I act and how I speak.

No comments: