Friday, December 21, 2012

Ordinary People

For the past four weeks, I've been leading a Bible study at my church on Wednesday nights. Our pastor is in a Christmas play and extra practices were scheduled this month so he couldn't lead a study. Each week I've been focusing on a different aspect of the Christmas story. As we looked at Zechariah and Mary and their responses to the angel's message, I was struck by how ordinary they are. As far as we know, Mary was just an ordinary girl. Not incredibly rich. Not famous. Not even from the best of cities. She was just a girl. And yet. God chose to use her. And she chose to be obedient.
"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." ~Luke 1:38
God is looking for ordinary people who are humble and willing to be obedient....those are the people He is looking to use. To me, that is incredibly encouraging. So whatever God has planned for me, however He wants to use me, may my response be the same as Mary's - "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

No comments: