Thursday, December 06, 2012

Clearly spoken

Is this thing on? Elisha had it easy. He knew God had called him to leave the dull behind when the great prophet Elijah showed up at his plow. What about you? Share a time when God spoke clearly into your life. Big or small, how did you discern His calling in your life?

When I think about God's calling on my life, I think about my identity in Jesus Christ. Am I rightly related to the Lord? Is every interaction I have something that pleases Him? The evil one spends so much time accusing God's precious children...do I spend my time connected with His righteousness and His character enough that the accuser has nothing to say about me? My calling is first about being, not doing. It's about who I am in Christ, not what I am doing for Christ. I serve an Audience of One. The outpouring of ministry comes from the inpouring of Holy Spirit. I am called to seek His face continually and in every interaction I have and to obey Him in everything (Psalm 115:1; 1 Cor. 10:31; 2 Cor. 2:14-15).

Let me share a story of a time that I felt God clearly speaking to me about who I am called to be.  It happened as I was sitting on the shore of Long Lake in Eagle River , WI and I peered down into the water. I could see the bottom! It was so clear and clean! I thought of other lakes and rivers that I've been to where you can't see the bottom even where the water is just a few inches deep. You might see muck or seaweed but who knows what's really down there. But Long Lake is so clear - you know exactly what is in the lake and what your feet are touching when you wade out there. People are like that. Some lives you peer into and all you see are murky waters. You might catch of glimpse of something from time to time if the water settles at all but at the slightest touch the murky-ness is back. There is so much junk in their life or they are trying so hard to hide themselves in the stuff of life.

Then there are people like Long Lake - you see right through them, right to the heart of who they are. You don't have to wonder what they are made of because you can see if for yourself. They are refreshing to be around and you can't help but want to drink in what they are about.

And I felt God's tug on my heart to be that kind of person - a Long Lake person. I long to be transparent. For others to see my life and know exactly what I am about and what God is doing in me. I long for realness and vulnerability. At times in life, a speed boat rushes by and waves roll in. The waters are disrupted but guess what? If you are a Long Lake person, you could still see through the waters. Of course, you could take a stick and stir up the sand at the bottom and some murky-ness would occur. We all have junk in our lives. But God is in the business of redeeming our junk and wants to use us to minister to others. Broken people reaching broken people...(Matt. 28:18-20; Micah 6:8).

This vision helped form the ministry I am involved with today.  My desire in the kid's ministry at church is to pour into the lives of the kids, parents and volunteers out of what God has done and is doing in me. Because of Christ's love for me, I am compelled by love for others - to come alongside them, point them to Truth in Scripture, to encourage them (1 Thess 5:11), and pray for them. My heart beats wildly when I see a kid "get it" - when the light of spiritual truth goes on - or when I am involved, directly or indirectly, in equipping them for life and ministry (2 Tim 2:2). Perhaps it could all be boiled down to discipleship, equipping, and encouragement. I long to invest in the lives of the kids, parents and volunteers - to dive deep into life on life ministry.

Where will this passion take me? I don't know. But I do know the One who holds my future and I trust Him to guide my steps (Prov. 3:5-6, 16:9).

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I absolutely love this! And the image you painted about the lake. May we always be transparent in our lives-you never know who will be reached. God bless your heart for the children too!!

Jennifer Newsom
OBS Group Leader

Joy Moments said...

This is just a beautiful post. Bless your heart in your ministry with those kids. I retired last year. I had a longing to be in a Bible Study and ended up at Melissa Taylor's studies. I am now a leader after some hestitation and prayer but I had always wanted to teach women but was afraid. I love it. I signed up to sub at Jr. High and first time I was called it was with special needs and I thought I couldn't do it and found out I can. My life is so blessed by ladies and kids and I am looking forward someday to minister to grandchildren. Thank you I love this heart-felt post. Debbie W. (OBS Leader)