Saturday, September 08, 2012

My journey to becoming a runner....part 1

Is there a difference between someone who runs and a runner? I think so. But it's all in the mind of that person. Running is a mental exercise, almost more than it is physical.

I should back up. In Nov 2011, I decided that I wanted to get healthier, to lose weight, to work out, and ultimately, to honor Jesus with my body. After all, it's His temple. I joined a gym but rarely went. Secretly I found satisfaction just knowing that I was paying for a gym membership. But joining a gym doesn't make you healthy. There are still other steps you have to take. Early on in 2012, I discovered that a dear friend worked out at the same place. We began meeting periodically at 5am to work out. Gradually those workouts became more frequent.

And then it happened. They started offering personal training sessions at my gym. Something clicked in me and said "SIGN UP!" But that's crazy talk, the trainer will roll their eyes at me or make fun of me or I'll be self conscious or, or OR....how quickly the negative self talk rose up to discourage me. But my friend agreed to sign up with me for a trial session. On April 16, 2012, I meet with Mike for the first time. It was just a free session where we talked about goals and he tested me in various areas. It was a grueling 45 minutes. But again, something clicked in me and said "SIGN UP!" So I heeded that inner voice and immediately signed up for sessions....some would be partner sessions with my friend, others would be private sessions with just me and Mike. It's a good thing I signed up right away too because the next day, I was so sore I could barely walk and the last thing I wanted to do was meet with a trainer ever again.

But I did.

Twice a week, I met with Mike at 5am. One session, my friend would join us. We dove headlong into discovering muscles that I didn't know I had and finding new tortue methods for making those muscles as sore as possible.

That first month was killer. Every day I felt sore and tired and ready to give up. But I couldn't. Now two people were counting on me. My friend expected me to show up and work out with her. Mike expected me to be there....he didn't get paid if I didn't show up.

Trust me when I say that at this point, running had not even crossed my mind.

(Stay tuned for part 2, just as soon as I have time to write it!)

No comments: