Friday, October 08, 2010

Because of one

Each time I prepare for Bible study, I remember something that a camp director once told me, “Remember, this entire summer program could be about that one child who comes onto the grounds for just one week.”  Or he would remind me that I might get weary during the many long weeks of summer camp, each camper has the opportunity to see and experience the camp ministry during only one session.

Well, the first admonition comes to mind frequently as I prep for Bible study. Perhaps the entire series is being taught for the benefit of one girl. Sometimes I think I talk and no one hears a word I said.  All the while, I'm praying for the Spirit to be speaking to the hearts of the girls as they soak in the Word.  I don't care if they hear my words, I care that they hear the Spirit's words.  My task is to be obedient and diligent in my own studies and then to faithfully teach the Word each week.  Obedience is not always easy.  Too often, other things grab my attention and try to keep me from diving into my studies.  Projects, social events, long work hours...these things and more can distract me from being obedient to God's call to be in the Word. 

Jesus exemplified true obedience to God when He gave His life for us.  “For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.” (Rom. 5:19 ). Jesus' act of obedience cost Him His life so that I could be given life, eternal life.

In return, how can I do anything else but obey?  So I ponder the power of this Scripture: "because of one…many…” and consider the choices I make today. In these choices, there is power, influence, and parts of a legacy. Will I be obedient and perhaps influence the “many”?

No comments: