Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Pride, Fear & Independence

These three things are a big part of my life and I'm not okay with that.

Fear often drives us - it affects our decisions, our judgment, our ability to reason. Fear is a dangerous motivation. It can cause you to do things you might not do otherwise.

Pride is just plain ugly. It causes you to want recognition, comes from self-righteousness and can keep you from admitting sin. Pride binds you to your faults, is an ingredient in every quarrel and can lead to corruption.

Independence comes out of a prideful heart. Thinking I can do it on my own. Not asking for help when help is truly needed.

As I've sought truth in Scripture, fear began to lose its hold on my life. I am coming to recognize that I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and self-discipline. I don't have to be afraid because Jesus has already won the battle. By placing my trust in Him, my fear is cast out.

Pride and independence are harder to let go of…but truth will win out…the truth that I’m not meant to be independent. I have to live completely dependent on the Lord. And I have to learn to live interdependent (or whatever it’s called) with others…learning that we are meant to live in community and in relationship. I need to invite others to join my journey, to help me with the burdens I am carrying and to ask for help when it's needed.

Last night it was pointed out to me that I can't continue to "struggle with" pride. To "struggle with" pride implies that I am still holding on to it, fighting against it. Instead, I simply have to let go of my pride, relinquishing it to Jesus, throwing it down at His feet.

Obedience begins with humility. Humility brings contentment, it stops quarrels and gives me a more accurate perspective of myself.

We are God’s workmanship, His masterpiece…and yes it hurts sometimes as we are conformed more and more to His likeness. As He strips away our impurities, it hurts because often we have let those impurities dig deep into our lives but with each stripping away, we are that much closer to being like Him. There’s a video out there called “God’s Chisel”, performed by The Skit Guys. They have done an incredible job at portraying the fact that we are God's masterpiece. It pretty much sums up where I’m at. I’m in a lifelong journey to reflect Him, allowing Him to chisel away at me until people see Jesus when they look at me.

I have a long way to go in this journey of throwing down by pride and independence and embracing humility. But it's a journey I'm determined to walk...and to walk it with others by my side.

No comments: