Saturday, April 07, 2007

The roar of God's people

Yesterday afternoon, I attended a Taize prayer service at Ascension Catholic Church in Oak Park. Early in March, I described what Taize is and why I attend. Yesterday's service was beautiful. The service closest to Easter has always been one of my favorites because they often sing my favorite chants.

In each service, we rise, join hands and say the Lord's prayer together. Oftentimes, I don't think much about it. But yesterday, as we raised our voices in prayer, it struck me that it sounded like a roar of voices. As the sound echoed off the church walls, I couldn't help but feel a sense of awe and worship. Here I was, in the midst of God's people, strangers to me and yet part of the same family. We worship the same God. There's no need to be split by our differences.

The roar of God's people lifting their voices in worship...very cool!

No comments: