Thursday, March 22, 2007

What does the future hold?

Simple answer: I have no clue.

But a career change is in the near future. I have recently made the decision to pursue camp ministry. I've been looking for about a month now but could not make it public until my boss knew. Well, on Tuesday I let her know that I will only be in my current role for a limited time. It could be 8 weeks or 8 months, I don't know, but I am actively pursuing camp program jobs.

So what brought this about? I've been praying about this for some time. There's this desire in me to work at a camp, to be a program director and it won't go away. It's a desire I have given over to God and surrendered my claim on it. And it keeps coming back to me and staring me in the face. It's time to face it, to let go of my fears and uncertainty and to pursue it wholeheartedly.

I had planned on keeping it to myself until I found a job but some complications arose. My work wanted to send me to CO next week to meet with some consultants. I could not, in good conscience, allow myself to go unless my boss knew about my change of heart about my job. It was really weighing on me so I finally told Shelley on Tuesday. She took it well, I think. In some sense, I feel as though I am letting her down, but I must be faithful to the call I sense on my life. She decided it would be best if I did not go to CO and I'm okay with that. I thought I might be disappointed but I'm not. I'm relieved that the news is out in the open. I'm relieved that I can move forward with my job search without feeling as though I'm hiding something.

The other issue that arose is my excitement. Now that the decision has been made and my boss knows, I'm ready to go. I'm antsy with anticipation and an eagerness to see what doors God is going to open. It's taking serious restraint not to begin packing up my stuff. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't yet know where I'm going. All these emotions bubbling up inside me and I could not keep it to myself so I have begun telling my friends.

So what now? I am pursuing a number of leads that I have found. I am in conversation with three places, all of which are looking for someone to start very soon. I'll also be contacting people that I know in camp ministry to see what suggestions they would have for me. It's an exciting time though there's also a measure of fear involved. This is a huge step for me, a step of faith for which I'm trusting God to guide and lead me.

No comments: